DUI Lawyers in Las Vegas
DUI Laws and Penalties
While there are pages and pages of DUI laws and penalties that may apply to your particular case, blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels remain central to DUI cases:
Blood Alcohol Concentration Legal Limits:
● Drivers 21 and under: 0.02%
● Commercially licensed drivers: 0.04%
● “Regular Drivers”: 0.08%
If the above concentrations of BAC are found in your system, you can – and often will – be cited for Driving Under the Influence of alcohol. If you incur a DUI under 21 years of age, the consequences may be severe. If drugs are found in your system, you will be cited for that as well. Finding even the slightest amount of drugs – including prescription drugs – may worsen the consequences of a drug DUI conviction in Clark County.
DUI Administrative Hearings
As in virtually every state, a driver accused of DWI will be subject to criminal charges via the courts. The administrative area of law, usually the Dept. of Motor Vehicles, handles the administrative charges.
- If the individual is accused of Driving While Intoxicated, a DMV hearing will be held to determine whether the defendant’s driver’s license will be suspended.
- The Administrative Court oversees the work of government agencies. This gives the public the right to appeal actions that have been taken by the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles.
- These courts are independent of and separate from criminal and civil cases.
- The Office of Administrative Hearings is the court of appeal for administrative actions taken by the Nevada Dept. of Motor Vehicles.
- The judge is required to be independent, partial and fair.
In the DUI Administrative Hearing, the accused has the opportunity to appear before an administrative law judge to contest the DUI procedure. It is advisable to have a DUI lawyer present at the time of the hearing.
Obtaining Legal Counsel from a Las Vegas Criminal Defense Attorney
Drunk driving attorneys with proven records can provide the legal counsel needed to win or overturn DMV administrative hearings. DWI cases involve many different determinations and factors beyond the administrative hearing. Individuals accused of DWI in Las Vegas should obtain legal counsel in the form of a DUI lawyer so as to have access to every defense strategy possible for their case. To discuss your case, please contact our office, where we frequently defend DWI cases and other types of alleged criminal conduct. We provide a complimentary consultation to discuss your case with one of our criminal or DUI lawyers.