Las Vegas Criminal Law Blog

How Can I Reclaim My Gun Rights Post-Conviction?

If you have been convicted of a felony or for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, you know it is illegal to own or carry a firearm. Is that the end of it, though? Do you have options to allow you to own a firearm?

Your Status

Owning or carrying a firearm when you are a felon or convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor is a Nevada Class B felony. The maximum penalty for a conviction for owning or carrying a firearm in this situation is six years in prison.

While owning or carrying a firearm might be important to you, it is not worth getting caught and convicted for doing so.

A Pardon

The only way to restore your status as a legal gun owner in this situation is if you petition for and receive a pardon from the Nevada Board of Pardons Commissioners. The board is made up of the following:

  • The Governor
  • Justices of the Nevada Supreme Court
  • Nevada Attorney General

The Odds

There is no easy way to say it: Getting a pardon in Nevada is very difficult. Each year, about 1,000 pardon petitions are received, and the Board of Commissioners hears about 2% of the total number of cases. About 50% of those accepted are granted pardons.

The following petitioners are qualified to receive a Nevada pardon:

  • The conviction must be a Nevada conviction. Other states have their own rules, or the President of the United States can grant a pardon for federal crimes
  • You have served your sentence and are not subject to any court supervision, such as parole or probation
  • You are not required to register as a Nevada Sex Offender
  • If you are convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence, five years after your release from custody or a suspended sentence has lapsed has passed
  • For felonies, depending on the class, 8 to 10 years from your release or end of a suspended sentence have passed.

Getting your gun rights back in Nevada after a felony or misdemeanor domestic violence conviction is difficult. To speak to a gun crime attorney, contact The Law Offices of Benjamin Nadig today!