Domestic violence occurs when a violent interaction occurs between two or more family members. The term “family member” has a specific meaning because a family member may or may not be related – they may simply be in a relationship with the alleged victim, or living in the same household, or they may have been related in the past. Various people may fall under domestic violence laws, including:
- Married couples
- Divorced couples
- People who live together – cohabitants
- People in a dating relationship
- Parent and child
- Stepparents, grandparents, others
Prosecuting a Domestic Violence Case
Within the City of Las Vegas, a domestic violence case will be prosecuted by the Office of the City Attorney. The City Attorney will press charges against the alleged perpetrator for various reasons:
- When the police are alerted to the possibility of a domestic violence case, they are required to make a determination as to who injured whom. Details will be noted by the authorities; evidence may be taken as well.
- If one of the parties physically harmed (battered) another party, the police are charged with arresting the batterer and the batterer must be jailed for at least 12 hours.
After the Arrest
- Misdemeanor: If a weapon was not utilized and if there were marginal, impermanent physical injuries, the case will generally be charged as a misdemeanor
- Misdemeanor Domestic Violence Fine: $1000 and/or 180 days in jail
- Felony: felonies that involve weapons and that result in serious injuries will be prosecuted by the Clark County District Attorney’s Office
If you have been arrested for either misdemeanor or felony domestic violence, it is highly advisable to seek representation from an experienced and qualified Las Vegas domestic violence attorney. Domestic violence cases often tend to get extremely involved and have extensive legal ramifications. Do not give any details or incriminate yourself if you are being questioned – request your attorney, who will speak on your behalf.
Las Vegas Domestic Violence Attorney Offers Complimentary Initial Consultation
No matter what the police or others in the judicial system may accuse you of, remember that you are absolutely innocent until and unless proven guilty in a court of law. Your criminal defense lawyer has represented thousands of individuals with cases just like yours. Many times cases can be dropped entirely. Other times, the charges can be greatly reduced. In other instances, your attorney may negotiate a more favorable, lesser offense in a plea bargain deal. Contact our office immediately for a free consultation in your Las Vegas domestic violence case.